The magnitude of information required by lenders is so intimidating to borrowers that it can become a source of frustration during the loan origination process. Not all loan types require all of the information listed below. This is why it is important to work closely with Jeff, your Loan Officer, during the critically important initial stages of the information gathering process. 

The following information is usually required during the loan process:

-  Your Social Security number

-  Current pay stubs or, if self employed, your tax returns for the past two years

-  Bank statements for the past two months

-  Investment account statements for the past two months

-  Retirement account statements for the past two months

-  Make and model of vehicles you own and their resale value

-  Credit card account information

-  Auto loan account information

-  Personal loan account information

-  Mortgage account information

-  Home insurance policy information

-  Home equity account information (if applicable)
 If you currently own Real Estate:

-  Latest monthly mortgage statement
-  Rental Agreement
-  Operating Statement or Summary of expenses

You'll need this information right away with your loan application

1.  Last two months’ worth of asset account statements.  Includes saving, checking, retirement and stocks and bonds.  Provide copies of all pages, even if the last page is blank.  If you have an account that cuts quarterly statements, send just the latest one.  Statements must be in the name of the homeowner, not a business or trust.  Statements must include name, address and account number.  Plan to send in new account statements between the time of application and loan close.

2.  Last two pay stubs

3.  Last two year’s W2 tax forms.  Not the whole tax return, just the W2. (Lenders require two years steady employment.  Exceptions possible.)

4.  If you have filed a Schedule C, Schedule E, Schedule D, or K-1 in the past two years, you need to supply complete tax returns for the past two years.

5.  If you are self employed or own part of the business where you work, see me to discuss your situation.   Generally be prepared to send in last two years business and personal tax returns.  All pages.  When a wholesale lender uses a tax return, they ask you to fill out an IRS form that allows the lender to double check. 

Other documents that might apply:
1.  New hire letter from your employer with start date and income amount.

2.  Bonus letter from your employer  stating amount of bonus payment.

Return to the Learning Center
Jeff Laeng